
So at church on Sunday I wasn't expecting anyone to know that Richard and I had said the
"I dos" but everyone knew and many people kept asking me what my new last name was. Yikes, I was really not prepared for it. Madison bless her heart kept letting everyone know that it was Swearingen, if anyone called me Sister Fisher she would gladly correct them and introduce everyone to my new title, Sister Swearingen. So all the while Richard walked around with a smirk smile on his face, he seemed to act as if it was Christmas day, he obviously wasn't expecting to her me be refered to in that manner.) Not only was I having a bit of a reality shock but everyone pronounced it wrong so by the time I got home even I was pronouncing the my last name wrong.
I find myself still signing Fisher and blushing when a classmate teasingly calls me Mrs. S. or Mrs Swearingen. I debated the idea of hyphenating the name for a while however I think for me that could be an outward sign of clinging to the past. What I need to do is cherish the past and move forward with the wonderful foundation it has given me. However, the kids need to know I am not moving on without them and that I still love their daddy very much, so I decided the best compromise for that would be to remove my middle name and replace it with Fisher and embrace tradition as I take Richard's name into this next phase of life.
So I am chalking up the name change to another unforseen alteration in my lifetime.
Ta Ta for Now
Nichole Fisher Swearingen
PS
did you know that it takes over 5 seconds to sign that
4 comments:
Beautiful photo -- the huge smiles on every face really do say it all.
What a wonderful example you are to your children, of love and commitment, and strength, and of being open to whatever life may hand you.
I can't wait to meet you!
LOVE THE PHOTO!!!
Oh my I think that I might steal it, print it out, and hang it up in my apartment...that is if you don't mind your children's photo being hung up in a stranger's home......
I think that your decision with your name was perfect! I am personally not a fan of the hyphenated name, but choosing to instead make Greg's last name your middle name and take Ricky's as your last is creative and perfect! It's a perfect way to move forward with Richard and still be tied with the children, and even in some ways I think honor the memory of their father! Love it!!
Hey Nichole, that is a mouth full! Its sort of appropriate cause all us Fisher men had a problem with Swearing!(winks to Richard!).
Love,
Uncle David
Post a Comment