Tuesday, February 19, 2008

4.5 of us + 1 math freak = Family





After a few family dates with Richard I started to get worried about what in the world I was doing, I was already so very fond of him and the kids loved being with him. What can I say Richard made us all happy. However I realized that the dating game had changed quite a bit in the last 14 years, and since Greg and I married when I was only 18. Honestly how much dating experience could I have in the first place??? NONE, that is how much. My friend Katie, gave been a basic 101 crash course in dating and I was pretty sure I wasn't ready for the casual approach that most people my age go into the dating experience. Although I had told him I don't do "casual" I hadn't thought through the reprocusions dating someone could have on the children. I knew before I said yes to the first date with Richard he was someone I could have a wonderful marriage with (really with 3 kids and a loving marriage previously, why date anyone that did not have that type of potential) . Although I knew this about him for myself I was CERTAIN no man could feel that way about me and my 3 wonderful, but tiring children. So I was going to "Just Friends him" Jumping ahead I think he had the intuition that something was amiss and in the course of our instant messaging conversation he reasured me that he was 99% sure that he wanted to grow old with me. Now this was the most unique proposal I have ever heard of and although I loved him and felt a connection to him I did not think possible my sister and I agreed that an IM proposal doesn't count and told him so. So the next day he used his man ways, (not to be confused with stalking) and found me at my sister's house in Stevenson, Washington. He asked me to marry him as soon as he got out of the car....I said Yes.



We were going to wait until summer, then spring break, then the end of Febuary to be married on leap year, then on the 10th of Febuary, we decided we were sure, why wait. My mom once told me that I don't ever do anything part way, I didn't understand what she meant until my sister explained to me that it is like when i clean the closet, I do not just tidy up the closet, I pull everything out, I reorgainize it and detail the floor. Once I start something it is all or nothing. Now I did have a few reservations, especially about the kids and Richard's ability to love them. Until I read a reply that richard posted to my sister's blog about Adoption and children's right and need to have an earthly father. After that I had no doubts anymore and wanted to combine our family as soon as possible. So we decided to elope on the 15th with the kids. Until we decided we had better tell our parents because we didn't need to be sneaky. So instead of an elopement we ended up having a small wedding with Madison and Nicholas's my best friends The Grillones come, mom and dad(Stecker), Megan and Jessica and our other dear friends Marlene and Lauren Jensen. We did have a photographer come and take pictures but we don't have them back yet. So here are a few of the good shots that were grabbed










Audrey was so excited she started tossing the flowers early






















Nicholas and Madison carried the rings for us and
signed as the witnesses for the marriage license.
Audrey walking both Richard and I down the isle to Bishop Wyatt.






















9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for staying up late and getting some pictures up of the wedding! I should be in bed, but was dying to see your next blog entry. We would have loved to have been there. You have a beautiful family, and I am so glad that you are all now a part of ours. We will have to get together as soon as our schedules all allow. Here's to new family, late night nonsensical skype conversations, awesome underwear, math freaks, stalking aunts, and all the great things yet to come!! Richelle

Just JoNell said...

We are very happy to have you in our family, and especially to have you in Richard's life.

I can't wait to meet you in person -- cuz you're great on Skype! -- and really welcome you to the family.

I think your kids will continue to enjoy Richard's company - although YOU may have your hands more full now that you've added one more really big kid to your household. My kids think he's hilarious, although they do also refer to him as, well, a freak and some kind of weirdo for loving math {I mean, he saves PHOTOS of MATH PROBLEMS on his LAP TOP!!! Who does that?}, but I think they mean it in the nicest possible way. LOL

Thanks for getting the photos up for all us nosey RELATIVES to see.
I gotta tell ya, we're all feelin' a little warm and fuzzy right now!

This is very good news.

Rachel Mai said...

Congratulations Nichole and Richard...love rach and adam

La belle mère said...

Congratulations to all 5.5 of you! Blending families certainly isn't easy, but I'm a living witness that it can bring a great deal of joy. :)

Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness. Lisa (Dan's sister)

Cheryl said...

I checked this blog many times yesterday waiting for this news to get posted!! I vouch for the fact that this will be a "fun match"!! She has my permission to hide that camera if necessary if it's in her face too much---on the other hand we do love all the photos. Lots of laughter will be forthcoming, I'm sure!! His mother.

Gorge Us Family said...

Best wishes.

Jer Bear said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for the 2 of you.

courtney87 said...

Congrats Nichole!

You don't know me...but I am your new cousin ;) We haven't met yet, but I am JoNell's oldest daughter and of course, a snoop (you will soon learn, if you haven't yet already, this is a Sims family trait :) So what this means is that for the last few months I have been spying on your blog here, and I must say that I like what I have seen, and I am overjoyed to be able to include you, Madison, Nicholas and Audrey in our family. Richard seems happier than I have seen him in years, so thank you for bringing life back into his eyes!!

I look forward to meeting you all one day soon!!

~Courtney

Nicole Roskelley said...

Congrats!! We're so happy for you. I love the pictures. You have the most peaceful happy look on your face. It makes me want to cry. So glad you found such a great guy! Can't wait to meet Richard- Nic